Lead As If You Meant It
Inspiration and Values
WHAT MATTERS NOW—HOW To Win In A World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation BY Gary Hamel
[amazon asin=”1118120825″ template=”simpleimage”] I started to read Hamel’s book, and in the first chapter he gives impressive advice on how to lead (paraphrased):
“These assumptions, if acted upon, will help nourish the seeds of stewardship in your business life, and, by example, in the lives of others.”
I fully agree with Gary that this is What Matters Now.
- Treat investments as if all of it came from your widowed mother, and it was your responsibility to ensure her secure and happy retirement.
- Treat your boss as your older sibling, with respect and no hesitation to offer frank advice when needed.
- Treat your employees as childhood chums—give the benefit of doubt and smooth their path. Never treat them as human “resources”.
- Treat your primary customers as your children. Please and delight them, don’t deceive or take advantage of them. Never exploit a customer.
- Treat yourself as if you’re independently wealthy. Work because you want to, not because you have to. Never sacrifice your integrity. Quit before you compromise.